domingo, 11 de febrero de 2007

Lord of the Flies

GOLDING, William (1954). Lord of the Flies. Faber & Faber: London.


The Sound of the Shell

The boy with fair hair lowered himself down the last few feet of rock and began to pick his way towards the lagoon.


Once again, feeling the rhythm of the story's narrative was the most difficult part of the book. Some parts I just had to read out loud; pronounce each syllable until I no longer heard my voice mumbling, but the pillow of wet leaves on the floor scratching each other as I step on them.

Some passages I minced with a dictionary by my side. For most of the reading I just trusted Goldman's sense of onomatopoeics (v.g.: to squeal).

The apparition of the last character reminded me of Apocalypto's ending, which I had seen only some days before.

Piggy's idealisation both of adults and logic bothered me. It moved me, though.

The story? It's almost raw, and sometimes rotten. I know I would've loved it a bit more had some passages been told in naturalistic style.

The book's quote:

Ralph wept for the end of innocence, the darkness of man's heart, and the fall through the air of the true, wise friend called Piggy.

And the Lord of the Flies, despite myself, I'll always have its grotesque picture on my mind.



Historia: Qué decir de un clásico. Me permito agregar que es desolador que sean niños; es cruel cuando hacen la guerra y --largando la corrección política-- es lógico que sean ingleses.

Narrativa: reitero que onomatopéyica y al principio difícil. Goldman desarrolló un lenguaje, o más bien código, microcósmico. Me hubiera gustado que contara el "festejo" de Simon más gore y más hacia el naturalismo francés, pero... that's me.

Personajes: Tal vez la dificultad del idioma me impidió abarcar bien a los secundarios; los sentí más bien planitos. El ego y la vanidad -no pronunciados- de los 3 principales niños fue un deleite. Y el Señor de las Moscas-- joder; un Don inolvidable.

Extensión: Brevísima para un angloparlante. La segunda cuesta hacia el gran clímax fue un poco pesada para mí.

Más del autor: William Golding fue Nobel de Literatura.

0 comentarios: